Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Movement (NOW OPEN)

Old 12-04-2008, 01:36 PM

Default Front Somersault to Round Off

I get the Front Somersault popped like a bitch, but when I try to combine it with a round off, all the power just seems to disappear and I don't have enough momentum to pull off a second somersault.

Tips????
Advice????
Old 12-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Front Somersault to Round Off

I don't get what you mean by popped like a bitch? But, generally speaking, you need to do a decent walkout front and carry your angular momentum from the somersault straight down into your roundoff. To do a good walkout front on the floor takes a very good front to start with because walkouts invariably sacrifice some rotation because you have to untuck earlier to get them smooth. I used to be able to walkout on the floor decently but I lost them through focusing on my roundoffs and backtucks instead so at the moment I cheat and use a springboard to practice walkouts.

Basically, to get good momentum for the roundoff you actually want to be slightly overrotating the front so you can use that angular momentum to get a decent roundoff. To do this, you need a high front with fast rotation, so think big block, tight tuck and untuck early for a smooth walkout. Also, important to note that on the walkout, you want to be landing upright with your legs nice and straight and well seperated, otherwise you can sorta come juddering to a halt. Are you learning these outside or in a gym?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:44 PM

by 'popped like a bitch' I mean my front somersaults are high , high = popped down 'ere in West country

That's useful thanks, makes a lot of sense the whole over rotate notion. I'll take what you said in mind, give it a go tomorrows and come back with an outcome.

Ta!
Old 23-04-2008, 04:29 PM

think roundoff arabian
Old 23-04-2008, 05:53 PM

Sigh, he said front somersault to roundoff, not roundoff to front somersault. How did it go anyway mate? I was working on them last night until I pulled my hip flexor, I'm just finding it a bit difficult to control the roundoff with all the extra momentum from the front, gotta keep the arms locked, think that was my problem.
Old 27-04-2008, 02:40 AM

if you can do front sommys you can walk out. You dont need to split your legs far apart or anything like most people think, you can pull it off by laning with one foot mere inches away from your other one.

Just treat it like a normal front
Old 18-05-2008, 05:54 PM

i have a friend thats poonage at these... best hes done is; Front flip Walkout to round of to back handspring to back handspring to back handspring to back tuck. Was nice.
Anyways ill get him to post a little help