Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Movement (NOW OPEN)

Old 25-04-2007, 05:22 PM

What are some good flips to start out with? and is grass fine to practice on or do you suggest matts? (cuz grass is free)

(links for flip tutorials would be much appreciated. Thanks.)
Old 25-04-2007, 06:30 PM

I've been practicing getting more distance on cat-passes and using two diffrent ways.

Split Foot and Two Foot.

First I'll explain my two foot. I run up pretty fast, do a little hop and kind of smack my hands down. I get some good distance. With my Split-Foot, I run up fast, try and "skip" into the posture of it and I just seem to lose my momentum and my legs feel very weird in mid-air and I almost fall sometimes.

Help please. Thanks
Old 25-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Street Team

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marqui119 @ Apr 25 2007, 05:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> What are some good flips to start out with? and is grass fine to practice on or do you suggest matts? (cuz grass is free)

(links for flip tutorials would be much appreciated. Thanks.) [/quote]
Heya matey.

How long have you been conditioning for? Less that two years? Stay away form flips.

The Yamakasi do not allow their students to jump for two years, and neither should you/we.

In my opinion, acrobatics etc are good to learn, in order to vary your trianing, develop your body and kinaesthesis and knowing your body.

Aesthetics are important, but not to the extent of purpose, I have learnt a few moves to develop myself, but Parkour is where I belong, the expression and usefulness of the discipline, is important, to live as a human being.

http://www.trickstutorials.com would be the place to go my friend.

Brad
Old 25-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Street Team

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xenon @ Apr 25 2007, 06:30 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I've been practicing getting more distance on cat-passes and using two diffrent ways.

Split Foot and Two Foot.

First I'll explain my two foot. I run up pretty fast, do a little hop and kind of smack my hands down. I get some good distance. With my Split-Foot, I run up fast, try and "skip" into the posture of it and I just seem to lose my momentum and my legs feel very weird in mid-air and I almost fall sometimes.

Help please. Thanks [/quote]
Hey, I used to use two footed, then a skip method now a fluid running take off and it has THE best resultls for distance.

Parkour utilises the environment, not using or abusing it. You should be working WITh your environment, not using it, vaults should work with an obstacle, effortlessly and harmoniously.

I was working on techniques one day for a cat pass and thought why can't I just take off from running? not adjusting my feet and converiting sprinting speed into the vault.

I suggest walking up to a block, and not adjusting your feet getting up onto the block, then with a slight run, then with a jog until you can work up to a sprint etc.

No secrets, just practice, but that is how i learnt, and I feel I have goo distance now.

Hope this helps you out.

Brad
Old 26-04-2007, 01:09 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Marqui119 @ Apr 25 2007, 05:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> What are some good flips to start out with? and is grass fine to practice on or do you suggest matts? (cuz grass is free)

(links for flip tutorials would be much appreciated. Thanks.) [/quote]
hey man, binary is right in a way, you have to be strong enough to handle these kind of moves or you will destroy your knees. However i know conditioning and what have ya is boring, and you dont want to take the fun out of it all because then it is pointless.

Try and find a sandpit, these are free and the next best thing to mats. If you live near a beach or sand dunes then lucky you!! If not, sandpits can be found on golf courses and athletics tracks (athletics track is best)

also schools sometimes have them.

If you can i would go to a gymnastics gym and try and get proper lessons but i know most people arent lucky enough to have access to that.

Trampoline is also a good tool if used wisely. You dont want to rely on it too much or it will hinder your flat land tricks
Old 28-04-2007, 03:52 PM

hi
i can do a catleap onto an object it is just
that wen i try to pull my self up my foot slips and i touch the ground
is there any advise anyone could give me
cheers
chris
Old 28-04-2007, 04:46 PM
Street Team

By the sounds of things you are relying too much on your feet to push you up, I use very little of my feet and I feel the upper body is where the technique lies.

This is 'copy and pasted' from my tutorials and with a few additions as I go along and re-read it.

The "climb-up" of a Saut de bras, is rarely seen in a new Traceur, which defeats the techniques purpose, Arm Jump are predominantly used as a last resort in order to clear the gap, then the Traceur climbs up the wall/ledge to carry on their path. The climb up, requires a fair amount of (explosive) upper body strength, in order to climb up easily and quickly. Everyone has their own versions of climb ups, but one of the most effective ways, is the "muscle-up" approach. Being able to do "muscle-ups" from a pull up is a show of your strength. This consists of doing an ordinary pull up (forearms outwards/forwards), and from the pull up, continuing the upward motion from the head and shoulders all the way to the hip (arms straight down, supporting your body at the waist).

**For the climb-up, almost all of the upper body is used. At first, predominantly the Biceps Brachii, Deltoids (all are used to an extent) and Latissumus Dorsi. During the "second stage" of the climb-up (seen in a muscle-up) are the Pectorals, Deltoids, Triceps Brachii, Wrist (Flexors/Extensors) and the Trapezius.**

The main thing with climb ups is time, it takes a good while for you to even get the BASIC technique for a fast and effective climb up, and then to get it spot on will take ages again, but keep playing around with it, from a hang then going up and back down. This is a serious persistance area.

**Muscles to train for aiding performance of this specific technique.**

The main thing I try to enforce when teaching, is the pull your shoulders and upper towards toe near top edge of the wall, that way you are getting your head and shoulders over your hands, and doing it quickly means your body natuarlly roll over the top, as soon as your body is over, it is mainly tricep strength to bring you up to the waist, and then you work on the kick up.

You feet sliding, you are relying to heavily on your feet, keep working on pull ups/muscle ups on a bar (notusing feet at all) and then going applying the technique that works for those to a wall.

Hope this helps.

Brad
Old 28-04-2007, 05:16 PM

thanks alot
i willl go and use this advice
i will try not to rely on my feet
and try to use some upper body strength
cheers
chris
Old 29-04-2007, 02:35 AM

also try to get your arms and legs to work together at the same time. Like dont use arms first and your legs later. Use both at the same time and put a lot of power into it
Old 29-04-2007, 07:23 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cord @ Apr 29 2007, 02:35 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> also try to get your arms and legs to work together at the same time. Like dont use arms first and your legs later. Use both at the same time and put a lot of power into it [/quote]
Indeed - maximum energy effeciency with this method.

However as a strength/conditioning exercise try working up to a "planche en force" - a muscleup from strength. This should be completed in a slow and controlled manner - both arms at once mind - with no assistance from swinging legs or whatever.