Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Green Room > Worldwide JAM Workshops

Old 26-02-2007, 04:23 PM
Street Team

It's just nice to get everyone in one place, and train with them.

We did some parkour movements, some 'movement' training, some conditioning, and lots of activities to aid fitness.

http://www.bradwendes.com
Brad Wendes
Parkour & Free Running Instructor
Old 26-02-2007, 07:01 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 26 2007, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The reason we can't have flips and summies at WJ Workshops Cord is because of insurance reasons. The Europa Gym at Erith has gone out of its way to support WJ and Parkour in general and give people a well equipped place to train and hone their skills. The only reason why they excepted Parkour back to the centre was based on the proviso that we have structured classes that did not compromise student safety. [/quote]
europa gym is hardly well equipped......
Old 26-02-2007, 07:05 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Binary/Brad @ Feb 26 2007, 03:55 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:
I think that doing parkour in a gym is pretty rubbish and also ive been hearing from a few people that recent wwj workshops are pretty crap. ''No flips'' this and ''efficiency'' that......

also, if it was outdoor, it would be free, that is, if the wwj team are willing to teach for free..... and thats what parkour is about isnt it?? Its not about over charging for a sub standard gymnasium is it?
I do indeed understand what you are saying cord, and as was said, there was a workshop on Saturday run by Brad and I.

I disagree that the workshops are "pretty rubbish", they are PARKOUR workshops, last I noticed, flips aren't Parkour and so we are practicing/teaching parkour correctly; safely, and accurately. If people want to go tricking, then go to grass or learn gymnastics, or go tricking. We teach Parkour and regardless people yesterday managed to squeeze in what they wanted to practice.

As Andrew pointed out, very validly, we are not qulified to teach flips and the facilities are not insured to allow for flips, and so we will not, for our own safety and for that of our current students.

As for those few you are refering to, many are still coming and many enjoy it, if people thik the workshops are bad, they don't have to come but I feel the majority enjoy them and take a great deal from them.

Take care Cord.

Brad [/quote]
brad dont get pissed off at me man. The workshop i went to i enjoyed, apart from the actual gymnasium.

im just mentioning some things i have been told by others.

everyone knows that its a parkour workshop but its the strictness of it that seemed to annoy people.

its great that you have done an outdoor work shop man good stuff.
Old 27-02-2007, 07:55 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Cord @ Feb 26 2007, 07:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Andrew @ Feb 26 2007, 11:14 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> The reason we can't have flips and summies at WJ Workshops Cord is because of insurance reasons. The Europa Gym at Erith has gone out of its way to support WJ and Parkour in general and give people a well equipped place to train and hone their skills. The only reason why they excepted Parkour back to the centre was based on the proviso that we have structured classes that did not compromise student safety. [/quote]
europa gym is hardly well equipped...... [/quote]
how is it not?

its got everything we needed;
plenty of mats, for vaulting etc
beams for precisioning
bars for laches
mats/bars for arm jumps
bars for muscle ups
places where you could do wall spins etc.

i think thats enough tbh.
also, can you use the edit next time dude

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 28-02-2007, 04:39 PM

that maybe correct but the equipment is old and shoddy...

and you dont need any of that to do parkour.

if you are such a fool and think you need all that stuff there are infinitely better gyms for half the price.

erith gym is mad price because of jump britain and their publicity and you all know it
Old 28-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Street Team

Europa has always been the cheapest gym I've trained at - £5 for a 2 hour adult gym session is great.
They recently put their prices up to £8 per session as there was a lot of damage to the equipment caused by impropper use & heavier adults using them.
£5 is for the class, £3 goes in a kitty to repair equipment.

The family that run the gym are really nice people, and would never rip anyone off.

The downstairs gym has just been renovated at a cost of £90,000 - it's state of the art, and beautiful equipment.

http://www.bradwendes.com
Brad Wendes
Parkour & Free Running Instructor
Old 28-02-2007, 09:07 PM

as many have said, you dont need to use the equipment to train.

its there to help you get correct techniques and confidence for outside.

no-one is RELYING on the equipment, if they were, the sessions would be like every week.

i don't see it to be expensive at all.
I think its a good price to train and meet up with other people from the community.

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 02-03-2007, 02:36 AM

fair do's brad i didnt know that...

ant not everyone can afford that im thinking of people that might really want to get stuck into it and go to these sessions but simply can't spare the cash. I know a few people and do my absolute best to help them in any way i can.

wwj folk are always talking about doing the right thing for the future of parkour but what i have seen it is all about the money
Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 AM

the one thing i think Europa could use is some more solid blocks, the same size as the blue ones...but just not as squishy
Old 02-03-2007, 12:54 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bloobirds @ Mar 2 2007, 08:15 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> the one thing i think Europa could use is some more solid blocks, the same size as the blue ones...but just not as squishy [/quote]
You mean like the red blocks in the back room?

:P