Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Movement (NOW OPEN)

Old 08-04-2007, 10:16 PM

I'm right footed, I do everything with it. Kick a ball, Tic-Tac, Wall Run, Kick people etc.

Has anybody bothered/tried/do train their left foot to be just as efficient? (Not for kicking people).

I have tried a few times but I can't get the feeling of it and go back to training what I was doing before. The only exception I have is when I do a running cat leap, I always take off on my left foot which is weird.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything. Just thought it would be interesting.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:34 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xenon @ Apr 8 2007, 10:16 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I'm right footed, I do everything with it. Kick a ball, Tic-Tac, Wall Run, Kick people etc.

Has anybody bothered/tried/do train their left foot to be just as efficient? (Not for kicking people).

I have tried a few times but I can't get the feeling of it and go back to training what I was doing before. The only exception I have is when I do a running cat leap, I always take off on my left foot which is weird.

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or anything. Just thought it would be interesting. [/quote]
I have injured my right hand recently (bruised carpal? heh I dont know). Anyway It looks like its going to take a good 3 months to heal and I have ALWAYS been very right dominated - right hand/right leg etc.

This is going to be a wonderful opportunity to work on some of my weaknesses... various passements with left hand emphasis (left handed speed vaults XD)... jumps of precision... balance.

It will be an interesting 3 months for me

Fortunatly my injury allows me to get away with most conditioning exercises - the only thing it stops me doing is any presseing exercise (except dips with a modified grip) and any two handed vaults... climbups... two handed arm jumps etc.

I see it as a wonderful opportunity!
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 PM

i'm quite ambidextrous when it comes to less precise actions, so my best side varies between techniques.

but ambidexterity is something we train quite a bit.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:12 PM

I'm pretty much ambidexterous when it comes to vaults, I prefer to use my right, however unless it is a particularly challenging obstacle, if the situation demands I can usually use my left. I know however that I need to work on this more so that instead of just being able to get the job done if I have to, I am equally able on either hand.

Passe murailles are a whole different thing, I cannot passe muraille very well at all off my left foot (I'm a right hander/footer too). So at some point I need to put a lot of time and effort into this. As for takeoffs, I'm totally ambidexterous, used to be left biased for them, however I worked that out of my system with lots of practice. Helpfull too because I needed a right footed takeoff for a particularly awkward running armjump I recently accomplished. As for catpass takeoffs (splitfoot) I pretty much always lead with my right. When I first changed to splitfoot, I was ambidexterous, then idleness set in and I neglected leading with my weaker foot. There's another thing to practice.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:13 PM

Currently got a bad toe on my left foot,
so im landing arm jumps with on my right leg.
It's fairly easy really, nothing too different.

With 'lazy vaults' there's the two ways of doing it,
the traditional way, which everyone performs or is familier with
or the 'stephane vigroux'/outside leg over first sort of way

These require different foot and leg placements, and are both well worth practising.

Running jumps,
you get a larger distance if you take off your less co-ordinated foot. So i guess practising take offs with your usually more reliable foot would be beneficial aswell.

Edit:

Just thought i'd reinforce that this thread is about leg/foot placement,
not your hands.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:17 PM

Why do we get more distance taking off our weaker foot? I thought it would be normal that our stronger foot would get us more distance. Or is it because our stronger leg drives us forwards and gives us the right "posture" mid-air.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Xenon @ Apr 8 2007, 11:17 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Why do we get more distance taking off our weaker foot? I thought it would be normal that our stronger foot would get us more distance. Or is it because our stronger leg drives us forwards and gives us the right "posture" mid-air. [/quote]
I get more distance with my stronger leg virtualy all of the time.

Im thinking of including much more in the way of single limb work into my conditioning - wonderful way to iron out any muscle imbalances.

The ability to take off using either limb (and be confident whilst using either) is extremely important in my opinion - especialy when it gets to the "escape" function of parkour. Stuttering with feet movements to try and get your favourite leg to take off can greatly reduce effeciency and can be potentialy hazardous.

Also applies to people who train for aesthetics - stuttering looks ugly and awkwad.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:30 AM

I have terrible ambidextrous-ness, I always Jump off my right reg, and always land/ tic/pop with my left leg, I'm also pretty rubbish at using my left arm for vaults ( aside for reverse but thats because I can only vault one way without dying)

I dont really have the focus to learn by myself, I think maybe a small Jam Where you practice on your week side all day will be fun and useful
Old 09-04-2007, 11:25 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Panther @ Apr 9 2007, 08:30 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> I dont really have the focus to learn by myself, I think maybe a small Jam Where you practice on your week side all day will be fun and useful [/quote]
Just go out and find a small rail/wall and train it =/

Then progress.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:27 PM

I was taught in PE [we were doing long jump] that taking off your 'odd' leg gives you more of a distance.

So this for me meant running, and taking off my left leg,

Sure enough, everyone tried the odd leg take off, and got an extra foot or so.