Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Movement (NOW OPEN)

Old 23-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Just a little thought i wandered if anyone had any views on.
Im talking about the instinctive reaction humanbeings get too "flap their wings (arms)"
when dropping from height or even when jumping.
Has anyone else experienced this?
I personally have kinda learnt to control it and it doesnt really happen unless im in trouble AKA faceplanting
Old 23-04-2007, 06:59 PM

Its whole point is to keep you from faceplanting. I only ever do it if I'm in the wrong position in the air to land, occasionally an overzealous catpass combined with a bad foot placement can make you rotate forwards, for example. Downhill ski racers use this when they are rotating in the air on a jump to prevent landing too far back on the tails of the skis. It's affectionatley known as "winding down the windows". It's about the most effective thing you can do to save yourself in a situation where you are rotating away from the ideal landing angle in the air, nothing wrong with it at all. If it's just a normal flight like 99.999% of jumps/drops etc. then my arms just move as little as is required of them to do the correct movements for takeoff and be in place for landing.
Old 24-04-2007, 03:40 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dannyboy @ Apr 23 2007, 06:11 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> ...doesnt really happen unless im in trouble AKA faceplanting [/quote]
i only find myself doing it when i've lent too far forward for a catpass.

example - http://youtube.com/watch?v=T4qvfnLqsyA
Old 24-04-2007, 05:52 PM
Street Team

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Alistair @ Apr 23 2007, 06:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Its whole point is to keep you from faceplanting. I only ever do it if I'm in the wrong position in the air to land, occasionally an overzealous catpass combined with a bad foot placement can make you rotate forwards, for example. Downhill ski racers use this when they are rotating in the air on a jump to prevent landing too far back on the tails of the skis. It's affectionatley known as "winding down the windows". It's about the most effective thing you can do to save yourself in a situation where you are rotating away from the ideal landing angle in the air, nothing wrong with it at all. If it's just a normal flight like 99.999% of jumps/drops etc. then my arms just move as little as is required of them to do the correct movements for takeoff and be in place for landing. [/quote]

Well put, my theory, is it's for balance and righting body position while falling or in mid air. If you watch "La Releve" on the the original French videos Stephane does it during a drop.

My other thought is it's to free up the arms in case of a fall, e.g brain thinking I'm going to fall so makes your arm's swing in order to then get in position to break the fall.

Instinctive movements which with extensive practice and trainaing, can be controlled, te varying intensities.

Brad
Old 24-04-2007, 06:09 PM

Yeah, in the majority of cases, the body has good instincts, people should remember that.
Old 24-04-2007, 06:23 PM

Insticts are amazing, Ive found that through training in Parkour, I now almost instinctivly do things which to the normal person look odd. For example, the other day i needed to get on top of a table at school, so i jumped straight onto the top and went to reach for my bag and to my suprise half the class went "WOOOOOOOAH!!!" because it looked really cool, when i just did it without thinking.
Old 24-04-2007, 06:39 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Dannyboy @ Apr 24 2007, 06:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Insticts are amazing, Ive found that through training in Parkour, I now almost instinctivly do things which to the normal person look odd. For example, the other day i needed to get on top of a table at school, so i jumped straight onto the top and went to reach for my bag and to my suprise half the class went "WOOOOOOOAH!!!" because it looked really cool, when i just did it without thinking.[/quote]
Thats a different type of instinct...if it is truely something of instinct at all. Thats like saying a hurdler jumped over a log whilst everyone climbed over it is instinct. Which after a moments thought isn't really instinct at all.

Instinct is something inherent - such as closing your eyes to protect them without having to think about it. Or animals knowing to migrate/hibernate etc. It's something built in, something your born with.
Old 24-04-2007, 08:14 PM

I'd say most things we train in Parkour are instinctful though, and that everyone has been conditioned to forget it as they grow up. How can jumping onto a table not be instinctive? Might be viewed like that by people who have developed to believe that running in public is taboo unless you are at a gym, or are specifically going out with the latest trainers and tracksuit to run.

Edit: Just actually turned my brain on and realise what you mean Bema, different type of thing, not like reflexes etc, sorry.
Old 24-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Not really Teg, when I say instincts, I mean the things that we do when we go outside of the normal situations of parkour. I mean when we clip legs, when we miss hand placements, when we misjudge our rotation etc. About the only bad instinct is the twisting instinct many people get when doing armjumps, particularly big ones for their level, actually increases the chances of getting hurt. Those are insinctive things because we've never trained them, never really even stopped and thought about them but yet they happen and they often save our asses. Parkour can become instinctive, yes, I don't contest that but I am talking about the most simplistic of instincts (like how we behave to being off balance, how we react when we aren't going to make a movement etc.) that just happen with no preperation or prompting.
Old 24-04-2007, 09:14 PM

this is quite interesting

sadly, the two things i think ive experienced instinctively through parkour are

1) freezing, like running up and just stopping, no thought about not making it really passed through my mind, but i got to the point to jump or whatever and i just stop dead.

2) when bailing...only really back in the day...oh and quite recently actually, the recent one, i fell onto my shin on a thin wall, with a drop, behind me, and a small drop infront. i didn't think, ok lets do this, lets then do that. it almost just came to me. my body fell backwards, through pain of my shin i guess, so as i fell back, i lent forward, my upper body hitting the wall, then, falling face first forwards, i pushed off, and armjumped (sort of ) backwards, and dropped down.

it was quite scary, just the fact i almost had no control over what was happening, and what if i had instinctively froze, because i was falling forward, and maybe coursed some bad damage to myself.