Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Movement (NOW OPEN)

Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 PM

I have found my instinctive movements have improved with experiance. I always remeber doing a cat pass to a drop of about 10 foot and getting it wrong, resulting in me rotating so far forward that I landed hip and shoulder first on the concrete below. I believe I fractured my elbow (although I never got it checked out) and bruised my hip in a bad way but I also pulled my groin whilst freaking out in mid air. This took longer to heal than any of the other injuries I got from that :/

Nearly two years on and I am still doing similiar bails with cat passes, (maybe not from as high) I still rotate forward from one every so often, usually because my hands slipped or I missed a hand placement. But I find that now, instead of freaking out I manage to right myself enough to land on my feet (possibly with a roll). Less than a week ago my hands slipped forward whilst I was trying to cat pass and clear the other side of a flower bed meaning I was heading for a faceplant, I instinctively twisted enough to get a foot on the bed and jump hard enough so that I had the time in the air to rotate back onto my feet on the concrete a fair distance from the flowerbed.

Similary my hands slipped of a wet rail (thought it was dry B) ) and I fell face first but went straight into a roll. I came away with barely a scratch to be seen and my instincts were that good, the others that saw me bail all thought I had planned to do that. I now train towards situations like this, I have drilled doing cat passes to dive rolls, I have drilled cat passes on the floor where the challenge is to get as far as you can and still right yourself, etc.

What I am trying to say is that you can improve your instincts, they are in no way set in stone. Thus, the idea that the instincts you learn (like to jump on a table) and the instincts you are born with are two separate things is not entirely true. You are only really born with one instinct, the fear of falling, everything else you pick up as you learn and grow up.

Peace
Old 02-05-2007, 09:49 PM

and the instinct to reproduce?

And to survive?

and to breath?

theres quite a few fella :P
Old 04-05-2007, 05:02 PM
Street Team

didnt read any answer, no time sorry.

arm swinging is normal. there are factors you can work on, as preciseness in your jumping technique that will not make you have to swing your arms so much to correct, but there are factors (as wind, takeoff surface/angle, unexpected things etc..) you cannot adjust or influence so armswingin isnt really a sign of something negative.

cu

Whatever you wanna tell me about how bad and mean and arrogant I am - pick a number and join the queue.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:21 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (The Panther @ May 2 2007, 09:49 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> and the instinct to reproduce?

And to survive?

and to breath?

theres quite a few fella :P [/quote]
Haha YER, but I would class stuff like that as 'life'. Those are things we 'need' to do in order to survive, other instincts just help this process :P

Apparently, apart from the obvious breathing, eating etc, we are only born with one real instinct and thats the fear of falling. Everything else you learn as you grow.

Peace
Old 09-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Self preservation
Old 09-05-2007, 02:49 PM

Instinct is the inherent dispositiong towards a certain behavior, like building muscles to look better (yea, not only to be useful), thinking about girls, training parkour (maybe), competition, etc.

A reflex is a sudden reaction to stimuli. The brain is usually not involved. A reflex would happen when the ordinary movement is altered by a sudden change of conditions (like a slip, bad take off and etc.). That is why when you bail and then watch it you think "oh i could have done this and that to fall better". If your brain had control of the fall, then yes, it would have been better. It is your spine that controls it and it's not always good.

There are two ways, i think, to get over this. Teach your brain to inhibit the reaction of the spine and thus take over the processes during reflex situations like a bail by training falling (as in stunts). The other is to just go on with the flow and continue bailing, your spine will probably learn to control better.

Please don't mix instincts and reflexes, ok?

------------------------------------------
<span style='font-size:13pt;line-height:100%'>Parkour British Columbia</span>
Old 09-05-2007, 03:19 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Scott_Leeds @ May 9 2007, 07:21 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> we are only born with one real instinct and thats the fear of falling. Everything else you learn as you grow.

Peace [/quote]
Surely you only get a fear of falling when you first fall over? Eg. Falling off a bed, learning to walk, crawling into a bottemless pit etc. Just like touching hot radiators or naked flames - your not scared until you get burnt.

Or did they decide it was some sort of left over from our evolutionary process?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:59 PM

Well since living things have been around gravity they have learnt that falling=pain.
So im assuming its just in our natural instincts not to fall from birth. Just like how people are afraid of the dark. Through evolution we have learnt that darknes=not being able to see = DANGER.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:22 PM

Bema, you're right. Fear of heights isn't an instinct but a learned action. Babies find drops fascinating until they fall down them.

Please be less stupid.

Love Bach.

http://parkour.net/uploads/cavt4638a8e4c41d1.jpg
Old 10-05-2007, 01:58 PM
Street Team

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Bachelarius @ May 9 2007, 07:22 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Bema, you're right. Fear of heights isn't an instinct but a learned action. Babies find drops fascinating until they fall down them. [/quote]
Very true, this reminds me of the well known Psychological experiment of "little Albert".

(this was done AGES ago and without the ethics of todays phychological practices)

He was put in a room alone with White Mice, he played with then, and didn't mind them at all, was happy and no discomfort was shown.

After the observation, whenever he want to touch a mouse, a loud noice was banged behind him to startle him, after a while he didn't want to touch the mice.

They tried to get him to touch cotton woll balls aswell, but because they looked like the white mice, he didn't want to touch them either etc....

There are a lot of psychological studies that discuss the differences between natural instinct and conditioning reactions etc.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that, research "little albert" if you want to know more.

Brad