Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Health & Fitness

Old 25-05-2007, 07:41 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (benmoore @ May 25 2007, 07:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WillWayland @ May 24 2007, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jin @ May 24 2007, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> That was a good read, i liked it.* Just got a couple of questions.* Was the part about bodyweight referring to whole body movements with movements like deadlifts, or general bodyweight training because i cant imagine getting to a point where i can bust out one arm handstand pushups or one arm PULLups easily!
Also, what do you think about things like weighted drills such as presicions with 10kg repeated hundred or so times, or practicing drops from knee heights hundreds of times to build up slowly to higher drops, both of which are part of my training.
cheers,
j [/quote]
General bodyweight movements was what i was refering to. Problem is with bodyweight movements is pulling from the floor is very hard to replicate the same stimulus. With handstand push ups we cant get the same ROM we could using a barbell. Free weights enable us to make minor adjustments in load that we can do with a weighted vest or dip belt and use a greater variety of loading parameters.

Weighted drills would be a bad idea, because it effects motor skills and movement patterns used during parkour movement. The weight depending where it is loaded could move your center of gravity and make drilling more dangerous.

Drops downs and the like would be considered part of your parkour training and not part of strength and condtioning work. Running with a weighted vest could be considered part of general physical preparedness for parkour. [/quote]
Not a major point but handstand pushups can be performed with hands on books/boxes/paralell bars etc. which allow for full ROM; taking ROM out of the equation as the limiting factor for this exercise. Only major limitation would be the relatively unchanging load. [/quote]
but technically difficult when we add loading, things just become needlessly complicated, its much simpler to press a bar and safer. Although im waiting for someone to do a 3-5RM weighted handstand push up.
"The overwhelming desire of society today is to assume that equal powers of reason are a universal heritage of humanity. It may well be. But simply wanting this to be the case is not enough. This is not science."
http://www.t-nation.com/img/extNetworkBanner.gif
http://williamwayland.blogspot.com/
Old 25-05-2007, 08:34 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WillWayland @ May 25 2007, 07:41 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (benmoore @ May 25 2007, 07:32 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WillWayland @ May 24 2007, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jin @ May 24 2007, 08:23 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> That was a good read, i liked it.* Just got a couple of questions.* Was the part about bodyweight referring to whole body movements with movements like deadlifts, or general bodyweight training because i cant imagine getting to a point where i can bust out one arm handstand pushups or one arm PULLups easily!
Also, what do you think about things like weighted drills such as presicions with 10kg repeated hundred or so times, or practicing drops from knee heights hundreds of times to build up slowly to higher drops, both of which are part of my training.
cheers,
j [/quote]
General bodyweight movements was what i was refering to. Problem is with bodyweight movements is pulling from the floor is very hard to replicate the same stimulus. With handstand push ups we cant get the same ROM we could using a barbell. Free weights enable us to make minor adjustments in load that we can do with a weighted vest or dip belt and use a greater variety of loading parameters.

Weighted drills would be a bad idea, because it effects motor skills and movement patterns used during parkour movement. The weight depending where it is loaded could move your center of gravity and make drilling more dangerous.

Drops downs and the like would be considered part of your parkour training and not part of strength and condtioning work. Running with a weighted vest could be considered part of general physical preparedness for parkour. [/quote]
Not a major point but handstand pushups can be performed with hands on books/boxes/paralell bars etc. which allow for full ROM; taking ROM out of the equation as the limiting factor for this exercise. Only major limitation would be the relatively unchanging load. [/quote]
but technically difficult when we add loading, things just become needlessly complicated, its much simpler to press a bar and safer. Although im waiting for someone to do a 3-5RM weighted handstand push up. [/quote]
Weighted vests/belts? (not dip belts)... how about some sort of resistance band rig?

Or simply not bothering with external load and begin using negatives/isometrics and the such to work towards one arm handstand pushups?

But I am not debating how it would be easier/safer to use a barbell/dumbell... just that it is still theoretically possible :lol:
Old 25-05-2007, 09:02 AM

now your just being silly mr moore
"The overwhelming desire of society today is to assume that equal powers of reason are a universal heritage of humanity. It may well be. But simply wanting this to be the case is not enough. This is not science."
Old 25-05-2007, 12:57 PM

Cheers for the reply.
I'm assuming that if practiced with the correct and safe gradation, weighted drills can be beneficial. I remember David mentioning that he used to perform 100 weighted precisions every day.
Old 25-05-2007, 01:28 PM

I've been contemplating doing that. What type of wieght? (belt/vest/ankle/wrist) Because I feel like they would shake and not only be offputting but actually dangerous.
Old 25-05-2007, 04:21 PM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jin @ May 25 2007, 12:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Cheers for the reply.
I'm assuming that if practiced with the correct and safe gradation, weighted drills can be beneficial. I remember David mentioning that he used to perform 100 weighted precisions every day. [/quote]
because your wearing additonal weight you have to "break" the movement due to increased forwards momentum, and the mechanics of movement change to adapt to this. this when performing the movement unloaded can be determental and cause i shortening of movement instead of following through naturally
Old 26-05-2007, 10:47 AM

</div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (WillWayland @ May 25 2007, 04:21 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> </div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (jin @ May 25 2007, 12:57 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Cheers for the reply.
I'm assuming that if practiced with the correct and safe gradation, weighted drills can be beneficial.* I remember David mentioning that he used to perform 100 weighted precisions every day. [/quote]
because your wearing additonal weight you have to "break" the movement due to increased forwards momentum, and the mechanics of movement change to adapt to this. this when performing the movement unloaded can be determental and cause i shortening of movement instead of following through naturally [/quote]
Would just like to add that just because David once did something it does not mean it is scientifically sound (as WillWayland has just pointed out).

Also there is the issue of possibly overtraining the body with high repetition precisions day in day out... unless this was performed in the style of GTG.
Old 26-05-2007, 02:05 PM

Just noticed Will - there is a lack of rest periods mentioned in this article.
Old 26-05-2007, 04:25 PM

general rule of thumb is 3-5 mins for max sets

and when ever the athlete feels ready for other sets. But usually no longer than 2-3 minutes
Old 27-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Drops downs and the like would be considered part of your parkour training and not part of strength and condtioning work
does that meen that depth jumps are not strength training. because i thort they were realy good excentric exercises and depth jump rebounds would build up your reactive strength alot ?