Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > GENē

Old 06-02-2008, 09:13 PM

Default Re: GCSE vs Parkour

i did no revision for mocks either

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 06-02-2008, 10:13 PM

Location: Middlesbrough - Officially the worst city in the UK

For my mocks with zero revision I got:

English lang A
English Lit B
Maths C (doing foundaiton)
Science B
French C
Geography A
Drama A
Business C
RE C
Understand that this art has been created by few soldiers in Vietnam to escape or reach: and this is the spirit I'd like parkour to keep. You have to make the difference between what is useful and what is not in emergency situations. Then you'll know what is parkour and what is not. So if you do acrobatics things on the street with no other goal than showing off, please don't say it's parkour. Acrobatics existed long time ago before parkour.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3...sionatepo5.jpg
Tims Blog
North East Parkour
Old 07-02-2008, 09:16 AM

i did no revision for my mocks and got ok marks but i no i could do better but i just think it hard to balance every thing out lol when i want to go out and train i always get the same old story from my mum you need to revise ever night to get good grade blah blah blah but i revise some nights but then go a train locally so its not t bad but i always train on the weekends. :mrgreen:
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 AM

If you don't put any effort in and try to do your best at your GCSEs then you've pretty much wasted the last five years of your life going to school.

Just do some revision mate it will help. Or at least for the subject you like the most or want to do as a career.

Because As at A-Level are increasingly easy to get, some Unis and employers look past A-level results to your GCSEs. If two people both have three A's at A-level in the same subjects but one has 11 GCSEs and the other has 5 then who will get the job?

Hope that helps

p.s. You have to keep training though
Old 07-02-2008, 09:28 AM

That's not true at all.

Aside from Alevel results, the main thing unis look for is your personality. Your personal statement is VERY important at that stage, you need to sell yourself to them to show them that your not a boring lamo basically.
I know of people who do nothing but work hard and study in their spare time, who got amazing grades at Alevel and GCSE, yet didn't get into Cambridge because they were too boring.
You need to prove yourself to be sociable, interested in other activities, disceplined, determined in all aspects of life, friendly, etc. etc. etc.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant
you got NO GCSE's?

seriously.. they're actually so easy

the mocks are harder..

E for mock in science
B in test

just, don't worry about it, don't get stressed, and don't listen to the teachers who say its the biggest thing ever.

basically.. you have been prepared for these tests for years.. trust me, they're easy
I didn't get a chance to to do them young Ant.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobirds
yet didn't get into Cambridge because they were too boring.
Bullshit. I dunno about for arts subjects but for science subjects that's not how it works at all. At Oxford we were told that our personal statements and extra curricular activities counted for nothing, they were solely interested in our academic potential. Likewise my friends who applied (some successfully, some not) for sciences at Cambridge. Quite simply, you took an exam and then had three interviews during which you were asked Physics and Maths problems (for Physics). The scores you obtained on the tests and your ability to work through those questions was all they were interested in. (For the record, I didn't get in because of my interviews). Universities like Oxford and Cambridge also generally have a minimum requirement for GCSEs. Ok we're looking at the top end of things here but if you want to have maximum choice about where you go to Uni, I wouldn't ignore GCSEs. All of the Unis I've applied to and had interviews at have stressed the importance about using your personal statement to tell them why you want to study your chosen subject, NOT to ego-wank over your extra-curicular activities. I haven't been asked a single question about non-academic stuff in 5 interviews, closest I've come was when in a group discussion with our interviewer at Imperial he quickly asked us about our sporting activities, so he could tell us what the Uni had to offer for them.

For mine, I did about 3 weeks of revision during study leave. I would sit outside in the garden and revise, training in my breaks. Worked great and kept me going. I'd do say an hour of one subject and then go play in a tree for half an hour. If you're trapped inside, do conditioning, that's what I did for my mocks. A little revision will go a long way, it works on diminishing returns, so by putting in even a little effort, you can make a large difference to your grades.
Old 07-02-2008, 06:09 PM

That may be true, i wasn't refering to an accademic subject [my bad, should have been more clear]
it was an arts subject, and they were told that their personality would not be right for the course, or something along those lines.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:53 PM

im to lazy to read

im assuming this topic is about

'SHOULD I GO OUT OR REVISE'

erm, revising is fun and all, but i like the whole 'not revising' thing. naaa, me jokes blud. I AINT GOT NO SMART CLOTHES, I FAIL ME JAYSEE ESS EEES
Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 AM

lol but yer it is still important but i think i found the right amount of balance between the two at last lol cos i no i will have to revise other wise i forget things but most of the time its ok but i need the grades to get to were i want to go.