Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > GEN˛

Old 08-02-2008, 07:13 PM

Default Re: GCSE vs Parkour

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloobirds
That's not true at all.

Aside from Alevel results, the main thing unis look for is your personality. Your personal statement is VERY important at that stage, you need to sell yourself to them to show them that your not a boring lamo basically.
I know of people who do nothing but work hard and study in their spare time, who got amazing grades at Alevel and GCSE, yet didn't get into Cambridge because they were too boring.
You need to prove yourself to be sociable, interested in other activities, disceplined, determined in all aspects of life, friendly, etc. etc. etc.
OK then.

You try getting into Cambridge with 3 Cs at A-level. Even if you're Mr Friendly McPersonality you have about as much chance of getting in as Derby County do of not being shit.

You can't get refused entry into Oxford for being 'boring'. That's like getting refused entry into a lap dancing bar because you're too perverted. Half the students at Oxford are boring. Probably. Half the subjects they offer are boring. You get my drift.

I'm not trying to create some massive argument i just don't think you're giving out the best advice to someone who needs it.

p.s. You seem to be a bit wrong, perhaps you didn't do so well in your exams?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:02 PM

You should read my post.

i said ASIDE from A-levels. Which means that Alevels results [or equivalent i.e. IB etc.] are the main requirement.
The example i was refering to was a largely popular course that had plenty of maximum A students applying for it, too many to cater for. So the criteria they used to narrow it down was the persons social side.

so yer...

P.S or not. i did plenty fine in my exams, got more than i needed to go to uni...the fact that i went to uni and came back before i'd even started my course is neither here nor there and a completely different matter.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:43 PM

i got lost at about the 5th post. :? lol
Old 03-05-2008, 09:23 PM

When I did my GCSE's, school finished at 3pm, so I'd be home by 3:30... I'd crack on with about an hours revision, then on weekends I'd train parkour.

Now it's completely different with A-levels, but I make a weekly schedule of what and when I'm doing things, it helps me to plan my time better, and fit a lot more activities in

Gracey xx
Old 03-05-2008, 10:24 PM

i still haven't started revising for my AS's :-\

ahh well.

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 05-05-2008, 10:57 AM

I be doing the equivalent of my GCSE's soon. I moved to Australia from England at the end of Year 10, but my school year here runs from January to December.
I have half-yearlys, basically mocks, in a few weeks time, which are harder than the actual thing most likely.
The gayest thing is later in the year I have to do school exams and the national exam, called School Certificate.
Should be ok after this year, I have the equivalent of A-levels, and I got a choice of 2 courses, either IB or Higher School Certificate. Im gonna do IB most likely, as it is internationally recognised.

What does this have to do with revision? Not lots, but basically I am gonna try and revise for my half-yearlys. I didnt study for my end of year exams last year and failed most of them, due to the fact I was new - they expected me to do Australian History and Geography, with around 3 months of school. Most things shouldnt be too hard this year, I topped the year in my art theory exam through a lot of bullshitting, and did well in English as well last year somehow. Before I left England I did some of the Science GCSE exams, got overall an A, its that mad easy 21st Century Science stuff. Got an A* in one module haha.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Location: Middlesbrough - Officially the worst city in the UK

I have my french speaking test tomorrow...

Yeahhhhhhhhhh
Understand that this art has been created by few soldiers in Vietnam to escape or reach: and this is the spirit I'd like parkour to keep. You have to make the difference between what is useful and what is not in emergency situations. Then you'll know what is parkour and what is not. So if you do acrobatics things on the street with no other goal than showing off, please don't say it's parkour. Acrobatics existed long time ago before parkour.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3...sionatepo5.jpg
Tims Blog
North East Parkour
Old 07-05-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

How'd it go tim ? ! ?

www.miffymedia.net.tc

http://www.youtube.com/MiffyProductions
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Location: Middlesbrough - Officially the worst city in the UK

Trés bon.
Understand that this art has been created by few soldiers in Vietnam to escape or reach: and this is the spirit I'd like parkour to keep. You have to make the difference between what is useful and what is not in emergency situations. Then you'll know what is parkour and what is not. So if you do acrobatics things on the street with no other goal than showing off, please don't say it's parkour. Acrobatics existed long time ago before parkour.

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/3...sionatepo5.jpg
Tims Blog
North East Parkour
Old 07-05-2008, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timlongs
Trés bon.
is it bad that i had to google translate that?

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was