Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Health & Fitness

View Poll Results: Will Parkour cause hand damage?
Yes 1 10.00%
No 1 10.00%
Yes if training incorrectly 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-05-2008, 07:20 PM

Default Hand Health

If training correctly are your hands likely to suffer long term damage or become stronger? I've been training today and we spent some time jumping, clasping girders with out hands and then dropping. I ask because I'm probably going into a career involving art so if I'm going to end up with hand damage I need to know. If so are there any particular excercises or foods that can help? Sorry if this topic has been repeated elsewhere.
Old 06-05-2008, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Hand Health

nah it won't
your hands just adapt to the changes & become stronger
hence why they cut less & less when you train, and stop
and why you get callouses

tis how our ancestors had them (Y)

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 06-05-2008, 07:44 PM

Really? Cool, I stopped parkour for a while last year because i was worried I might suffer health problems later in life but I don't know about everyone else but I found it impossible to stop:P
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 PM

If you're worried about maintaining health, just make sure that you start off small and slow with Parkour. Start off with physical conditioning, strength and flexibility work.
With your hands, you may occaisionally rip off a lump of calloused skin if you allow it to build up too much. This can be very painful, but you can easily avoid it by removing large callouses. This is easy to do: some people (like me) like to just pick at our calloused dead skin with your hands and teeth all day, others clip the top layer of dead skin off with clippers or scissors, and some bathe their hands in warm water until the hard dead skin goes white in places and then they remove this with a pumice stone or with their hands.

This way, the whole of your hands will remain tough and resilient, but you can prevent callouses from building up too much and becoming tender or ripping off when training in trees or on bars.

Also eating a varied diet with lots of fresh fruit and veg, and getting enough water and protein every day will keep your whole body maintained fine. Omega-3 EPA Fish Oils are a good supplement for skin, joint, and brain health. They come in tasteless capsules.

Good luck with your training man!
Old 07-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna go a look for some of the things you mentioned tomorrow.
Old 16-05-2008, 08:20 AM

It depends what is important to you.

I have known people who are musicians wear gloves when doing some training because they don't want to scratch up their precious hands. How ever I wouldn't say these people were serious about training.

I can't see how callused hands will affect your art.
Old 16-05-2008, 10:12 PM

I think people have been misinterpereting my concern. I was actually worried about arthritis and muscle/bone damage that could develop over time. My hands are pretty resistant to aesthetic damage :P
Old 17-05-2008, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flytch
I think people have been misinterpereting my concern. I was actually worried about arthritis and muscle/bone damage that could develop over time. My hands are pretty resistant to aesthetic damage :P
Bone will get Stronger, as will muscle, as for Arthritis no one has yet, but you may be prone to Arthritis anyway and get it just from bad luck.
Old 17-05-2008, 12:10 PM

well, if you're prone to arthritis theres a high chance you'll get it anyway, without parkour involvement.
typing away on a keyboard wouldn't be doing any good

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 27-05-2008, 03:32 PM

My callouses came of from the vibrations from one of those outdoor vacuum/blowy things, D:

was painful , yet I was sucking up spiders/webs / 15 years of spider excrement from me shed so it was worth it.

BWHA HA HA

also the remainder of my callouses came off when using a hammer drill the day after