Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Health & Fitness

View Poll Results: Plyometrics, Weights or Both
Plyometrics (Body Weight) 4 25.00%
Weights 2 12.50%
Both 10 62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13-05-2008, 09:55 PM

Default Plyometrics or Plain old weights?

Basically this is just a survey on what people think is best
Old 13-05-2008, 10:30 PM

Default Re: Plyometrics or Plain old weights?

I'm pretty sure plyometrics dosn't equal bodyweight stuff, and bodyweight stuff dosn't equal plyometrics.

Look it up please, Wikipedia for Plyometrics.
Old 13-05-2008, 11:52 PM

Because weights totally does nothing for your vertical leap =]

In any case:
Plyometric: The process of muscular activity, which involves the eccentric loading of a muscle, followed by an immediate concentric unloading of a muscle.

It is a type of training that can be done either with bodyweight exercises or with external loading.

Bodyweight and "weights" are simply tools from which you can draw upon to apply to certain training methods/models to reach a particular goal.
Old 14-05-2008, 03:03 PM

Plyometrics or whatever is probably better. Perhaps calling it calisthenics would be better?

However free weights are good just not quite as good for pk, their good for strengthing muscle that won't probably be used as much in bodyweight shizz to stop an imbalance.
Old 14-05-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chingin
Plyometrics or whatever is probably better. Perhaps calling it calisthenics would be better?

However free weights are good just not quite as good for pk, their good for strengthing muscle that won't probably be used as much in bodyweight shizz to stop an imbalance.

waaaah?????????

I fail to see how making a muscle stronger can not be good for Parkour.
Old 14-05-2008, 03:16 PM

sphincter tenses all day long baby.
Old 14-05-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther
Quote:

waaaah?????????

Sure stronger muscles=better pk but i think theres a limit to how much strength you need and that limit can be acheived from bodyweight conditioning. Once you reach a good strength or whatever that is specific to pk i.e. a muscle up w/o kipping you can just work on reps. I seriously don't see the need to be able to bench press anything over your bodyweight, unless you just like muscle bulk and in that case thats got jack all to do with pk.
However lower body does need something a bit greater than your own weight.
Old 14-05-2008, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Panther
Quote:

waaaah?????????

Sure stronger muscles=better pk but i think theres a limit to how much strength you need and that limit can be acheived from bodyweight conditioning. Once you reach a good strength or whatever that is specific to pk i.e. a muscle up w/o kipping you can just work on reps. I seriously don't see the need to be able to bench press anything over your bodyweight, unless you just like muscle bulk and in that case thats got jack all to do with pk.
However lower body does need something a bit greater than your own weight.
Why is it different for lower body? The same rules of physics apply for upper and lower body rofl.

You don't think weighted pullups, weighted dips, bent over rows, bench press, etc. will improve your ability to climbup faster for example?
Old 14-05-2008, 08:27 PM

Simon, if you could deadlift like 300kg or more and weighed like 85kg, do you think you'd feel bulky, or be able to explode into huge jumps from nothing and take drops in your stride?

Similarly, if you train pullups with your own bodyweight added, and could row 150kg, do you think you'd feel top heavy and slow, or fly up walls and over obstacles effortlessly?

I get what you mean, about only wanting enough strength to do certain basic things, and then prefering endurance, but I think if you take your strength foundation and power further than you "need" to, it's hardly going to be a bad thing, it'll open up a world of insane possibilities that Parkour hasn't even touched on yet.
Using extra weight really is the only way to achieve that, past a certain point, don't you think?
Old 14-05-2008, 10:14 PM

Id agree that been able to lift you bodyweight or whatever with ease is a good thing in parkour for getting up walls and stuff but surely having that little bit extra strength will help even more especially in the legs/lower body as it should help you with your jumping distance no? For example you way, as already been said, 85Kg so been able to lift you body weight easily would probably be about 90Kg. What i'm saying is if you boost you max by at least another 15Kg it will make life even easier will it not?
Im not saying this is correct, just a theory.