Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > GENē

Old 08-06-2008, 11:40 AM

Default parkour safe for the young'n's?

Is parkour good for young, "nexgen" Traceurs?

They're Growing, and if their ligaments and muscles get out of shape, they can end up with say, Arthiritus (spelling) or some other bone/muscle disease.
Old 08-06-2008, 02:18 PM

Default Re: parkour safe for the young'n's?

if they train responsibly then yes
Old 08-06-2008, 05:56 PM

When you're still growing (can I just point out that males don't stop growing until the age of about 21), there is a huge potential for both positive and negative effects.

Taking impacts or doing things like drops or heavy landings and big jumps can definitely set up a lot of problems for you in the future, whether or not you feel any pain at the actual time. Tendonitis and catiledge damage are easy to get from training recklessly, and these problems keep coming back year after year even when you think you've fixed them. They're also very painful and stop you from being active.

On the other hand, taking up intelligently planned strength training and doing things like climbing and practising vaults and running and building up the size of jumps and other things gradually, can build a very strong physical base as you grow up and in the end provide you with huge physical benefits while training as an adult.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:01 PM

yeah teg is right, although alot of people don't really understand and therefore won't do it. they will be the ones unable to train later in life you will be able to train if you do so properly.

although it is 23 not 21.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:56 AM

actually, norburn, it's anywhere between 21 and 23, depending on when puberty starts, etc.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:27 PM

generally its 21
if males start puberty at 12

^ Best Moment Of My Life That Was
Old 14-06-2008, 05:30 PM

well im 14 and me and my friends have all had injuries from parkour but nothing bad, its safe to do but only if you arnt too reckless and think you can do something really pro when your a noob
Old 25-08-2008, 04:30 PM
omegastick

I think one of the first things 12 year olds like me should do is practice landing and balancing. it is innevitable that we will want to do big jumps and therefore should practice landing correctly. Balancing is a pimary function in parkour and we should therefore practice it so it doesn't go wrong.
Old 25-08-2008, 08:33 PM

Why's it innevitable?
i've been training three and a half years and have never wanted to do big jumps [by which i assume you mean drops]
Old 25-08-2008, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegastick
I think one of the first things 12 year olds like me should do is practice landing and balancing. it is innevitable that we will want to do big jumps and therefore should practice landing correctly. Balancing is a pimary function in parkour and we should therefore practice it so it doesn't go wrong.
Phail... sounded like he used like a thesaurus website or something then lol

Id 100% agree with every thing Teg put. I only ever did a couple big drops when i started and i totally regretted it its pointless. The highest i drop off now is probably about 10 foot even the i drop down into and arm grap/cat leap position before dropping. The best thing to do when your a younger age e.g. 8 - 14 is do fluency with rails and walls, make nice little runs, improve your jump distance, do strength training every day, stuff like that is best for you because when your body has stopped growing you can use it to an advantage, you will be able to take big drops better and decrease chance of injury.
I would still do stuff like this in your late teens also (15 - 21/23 (depending on puberty start :P)
Thats all i have to say lol