Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > Parkour Chat

Old 24-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Question Can you help? Looking for people who can help me out with some research.

Hi!

My name is Lauren. Iím studying for a masterís degree in Town Planning at Newcastle University. I am here looking for people to interview via email, to help me gather data for my dissertation. My dissertation is a study of ďUrban SubversionĒ.
It sounds more dramatic than it is. Basically by Ďurban subversioní I mean: when people who do things in places that were not designed for the purpose. For example, skate boarders who chose to skate on the streets rather than in a skate park. Or anyone who does free running / parkour, lets face it there are too few specifically designed places for that!

I am here specifically looking for people who do Parkour or Free Running.

Iím also interested in:
BMX,
Skate boarding,
Flash mobbing
and Aggressive inline skating.
(So if you know anyone can you point them my way?)

Why do I want to know?

Iím interested in how people use the city. They live, work, and play there. What Iím really into is unusual uses of the space in cities. One mans street is another mans stage. The rail I might hold onto to go down some steps may also be a great place to do some stunts. Not every curb is ground by skaters, and not every wall has some guy vaulting over it. The question I want answered is why? Why do people choose specific sites to behave in certain ways? I think itís an important thing to look into because a lot of councils try to stop people doing these things. Iím sure youíve all seen curbs with notches on them to stop people grinding them. Iím approaching this from the position of: why try and stop people from doing these physical activities when the majority of councils are trying to encourage people to get fit? Also, itís public space Öright?

What do I want from you?

Iíd like to email you some questions, they shouldnít take long to answer, 30 mins max. Theyíll basically be about what you look for in street spots. I can promise you anonymity; you can choose the name you will be referred to in my work. In return Iíll thank you (as that name) in my work and I will send you a copy of the ďwith thanks toĒ and the abstract from my work (the blurb about what Iíve written). I canít send you the whole thing-the only people who are likely to see this finished are the people who mark it. I know itís a big ask form a total stranger but I would really appreciate it and you would be helping me write something positive on Parkour or Free Running and other urban activities.

If you can give me 30 mins to answer some questions please drop me a line to:

Answerlauren @ gmail.com

(TLR Ė I want to ask you some questions, send me an email if youíre up for it)
Old 19-12-2009, 11:04 PM

Smile hey

hey lauren
umm i can spare some time to talk to you through email or msn. i bmx bike,mountain bike and of course freerun so if you need someone to interview im in hey it might be interesting
Old 20-12-2009, 04:21 PM

Well there is NO actual place for Parkouring. Parkouring is non-existent in Pakistan. Google "Parkouring in Pakistan" and you get nothing. So for me Parkouring= Detouring to College, Bunking from School, or Bouncing when someone catches you!
Old 20-12-2009, 04:25 PM

Smile

nice wording their i like how you put it as a way of escaping as a type of quick exit
Old 20-12-2009, 04:30 PM

Well once you get into college you will learn what I mean! And getting into trouble is what I am GOOD at! For Example the last month a Dog chased after me. And I had to either run OR jump on a real high wall with a Traffic Sign near it. So instead of running and praying to God that the dog tire before me, I took the easy way and jumped on the wall and then recoiled to the Sign and then held the ledge of the Wall. Thus I was saved!
Old 20-12-2009, 04:35 PM

Smile

nicely done on the escape mate you have put practice into reality and used the art for something constructional, well done.

as for me i unfortunatly have not been able to put parkour into real life practice but am hoping to get a chase lol.
Old 20-12-2009, 04:39 PM

I didn't have a choice! It was either that or my leg being a German Shepherds Mac-Meal. The Adrenaline kicked in! This may be a Stupid question but do you always do Parkour? Or do you practice it in special areas for a limited time. In simple words I mean DO you walk?
Old 20-12-2009, 05:05 PM

Smile

heyy mate

sorry it took soo long for the reply but in answer to your questions i do parkour anywhere i think would be good to practice and improve and some days rest for example:

monday:2 hours parkour in my town

tuesday:rest day

wednesday:running for conditioning

thursday:rest day

friday:1hour parkour in school grounds

weekend:just relax and rest for the week ahead when i sometimes walk

as for me parkour is a lifestyle
Old 20-12-2009, 05:50 PM

Well I guess its different than what am I used to. I try to use it in actual life obstacles. Oh well who cares to me its the most coolest thing EVA!
Old 20-12-2009, 05:55 PM

Smile

yeah i agree with it being the coolest thing eva and i like how you use it in real life situations.

i am just using that training regime until i am fit and healthy enough to video some chase scenes and to impress an audience.

btw did you hear about some military forces are hireing pro freerunners to train the soldiers?