Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Starting Zone > Starting Zone

Old 01-11-2009, 04:32 AM

Default Just starting out

I'm interested in both Parkour and Freerunning, and was wondering what the best resources were to learn. I'm 16 and pretty fit already, so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern is that like with most things, there's probably a right way and a wrong way to learn (for instance: don't learn an instrument by learning a bunch of songs. Learn your rudiments).

What are some good resources for either Parkour or Freerunning? Introductory material? Tips & tricks? Techniques?

Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 07:44 PM

Ok, well, first I'll fill you in on the basics.
You will need:
Light, strong trainers with good grip
Vest, shirt or any other light torso clothing
Trackie bottoms or shorts. Do NOT wear jeans as they restrict the movement of your legs.
(optional and reccomended) If you have long hair then tie it into a ponytail or do something to stop it from getting into your eyes. I got mine cut to prevent it but if you do have long hair and you really like it then you shouldn't really get it cut.

(optional) Wrist Supports, Traceurs wear these to make sure they don't scrape their wrists or damage them. I reccomend these as they could save you from some nasty scratches and bruises.

Now, we'll start with some warm ups. You should already know this. Stretch EVERY part of your body before Tracing. You'll also want to warm up with a short jog.

The basic vaults you'll want to learn:

Straight vault: Run up to the obstacle, place both hands onto whatever you are vaulting over, jump and while in air turn your body into a horizontal position, push off then land back on your feet in a vertical position.

Lazy Vault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKM3hrEgRd4

Speed Vault: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR8bn...eature=related

You'll also need to learn how to roll which is probably the most important thing in Parkour: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tJAy...eature=related

When you get better check out a few tutorials by UrbanCurrent, they have some useful videos.
Hope this helped
Old 02-11-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimitedParkour View Post
Light, strong trainers with good grip
Got 'em
Quote:
Vest, shirt or any other light torso clothing
Got 'em
Quote:
Trackie bottoms or shorts. Do NOT wear jeans as they restrict the movement of your legs.
Damn, no jeans? Ah well, I have shorts.

Quote:
(optional and reccomended) If you have long hair then tie it into a ponytail or do something to stop it from getting into your eyes. I got mine cut to prevent it but if you do have long hair and you really like it then you shouldn't really get it cut.
My hair's long for a guy, but it usually doesn't bother my eyes.

Quote:
Now, we'll start with some warm ups. You should already know this. Stretch EVERY part of your body before Tracing. You'll also want to warm up with a short jog.
Well good, then I can get my jogging in, too.

Quote:
Straight vault: Run up to the obstacle, place both hands onto whatever you are vaulting over, jump and while in air turn your body into a horizontal position, push off then land back on your feet in a vertical position.
Do you have a youtube video for this? I can't really decipher your description, but I think I get it.

Quote:
You'll also need to learn how to roll which is probably the most important thing in Parkour
I'll check out the video, but I can already roll pretty well from a few years of judo.
Edit: The parkour roll seems to be slightly different, so I'll be learning that. Thanks.

Quote:
When you get better check out a few tutorials by UrbanCurrent, they have some useful videos.
Hope this helped
Yup, good start. Thanks!

Last edited by RobotGymnast; 02-11-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:36 PM

Smile

Haha great. Yeah, jeans prevent flexibility but atleast you have shorts. I use 3/4 shorts when it's cold and none of my trackies are clean :P
Umm....Ok youtube video for straight vault AKA simple vault.....I have one somewhere.....Ah here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAVvyeKC23M
That youtube video may not be right because it's not loading up for me. Oh well, it should be correct.

Yeah the Judo roll should help you a bit. Always remember that the PK roll is rolling from your right shoulder (if you are right handed, if not the left shoulder) to the opposite hip. NEVER over your head and your spine because this can cause some serious damage. Trust me, I've learnt this through alot of injuries.

Oh, just to let you know the roll and vaults are probably the most important things in Parkour so you will want to master the PK roll on a soft surface before trying on concrete. If you need ALL the vaults then this will help ALOT. It sure helped me. Ah, as for the reverse vault, be careful with it and try it on a soft surface. I tried it not too long ago from about a 2 meter height and I landed on my back XD It hurt but it was funny as well.....ahem...but yeah, be careful with that one and alot of others in the following list on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vault_(parkour)

REALLY hope this helps

Last edited by UnlimitedParkour; 04-11-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM

Alright, thanks for the links! The judo roll was similar (rolling over the shoulder), but not as strict on landing in the same position as you started in, so that's my emphasis right now.

It's some good starting advice and links, thanks for your time!
Old 05-11-2009, 08:21 PM

No problem. Ask me if you need anymore help
Old 05-11-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
No problem. Ask me if you need anymore help
I will. Cheers