Notice: All returning users need to reset their passwords. To do so, click here.

Go Back   WorldwideJAM Forums > The Parkour Zone > GEN≤

Old 23-09-2006, 10:02 PM

I'm 6ft 0, it's absolutley true what people say about it having advantages and disadvantages. It makes underbars harder work for me and means I bail them more often. It also means for tricking I have more drag than a smaller person, making piked summies harder. For dash vaults I have to jump from further away from the wall. I found sdcs very hard to learn because of the length of my legs. Even for my height I have quite long legs. Of course there are the obvious benefits though too. The truth is it really doesn't matter, strength and technique will get you beyond any physical hinderances. Liam who I train with is only a year younger than me and probably about 5ft 4 or so, something pretty small. He's also very good and it's always funny to compare us two because he whoops me in some things and I get him in others, we always jokingly say that it's because of the other person's size . Isn't DB 5ft 8 or something? And TJ, you're still going to grow anyway, don't get too worried. I was smaller than average for quite a long time but at about 13/14 I rocketed up and ended up as the lanky fool I am now .

Slightly off topic: Teg, I had no idea what size Jin is, now he's in Sheffield we're training with him in a couple of weeks, I can't wait. TJ, I'm pretty sure Jin will still be a lot better than me regardless of his height :P.
Old 24-09-2006, 09:14 AM

according to his blog, hes 173cm tall.

and yeah, different heights have advantages and disadvantages. smaller people are generally more agile than taller people.

although i've been told im pretty agile for someone thats 6'1"

Brad - -
"Here's one for you:
As far as I'm aware, David Belle once farted - does that make it parkour?"
Old 24-09-2006, 10:10 AM

6 ft 0.5 inches :P

haha, atleast you're not claiming 6ft 3 any more :lol:

i have super long legs, my legs are longer than my friend who is a good 5 inches taller than me.
Old 24-09-2006, 11:11 AM

i like being small it gives me more control over my body.
Old 24-09-2006, 12:13 PM

there are just some things that annoy me i spose, arm jumps for example and alot of you said dont worry, i'm not worrying lol.
Old 24-09-2006, 03:08 PM

I think its better being small then tall for parkour.

<span style='color:red'>Urban sense fourm</span>
Old 26-09-2006, 01:01 PM

varying height will always have it's ups and downs. . . I am 19 years old, yet am only roughly 5ft 5.

It certainly makes a ifference, but so does every human atribute both physical and mental.
We are all different, and that is the beauty of what we do. It is all about learning about YOUR body. EVERYONE is capable of truly great things. No matter what you're size, build etc is, you can train and compensate and improve i the way that is right for you.
An example being: i train my leg muscles quite a lot, i am only small compared to many people i train with, yet i am able to jump just as far and in many cases further than others i train with.
Sure some things are harder, but some things are arguable easier, but in time you will learn about YOU, and you will then learn how to improve yourself.
Old 26-09-2006, 02:29 PM

I remember back in the early days of TT, the other members were far more advanced than i was and i really worried about it. later i realised that because i wasn't able to match their movements, it forced me to find other ways to use the same environment.

With their help i've progressed MASSIVELY, but it was those early days that really opened my eyes and showed the dis/advantages of being small or less experienced etc etc.

guys, just look at being small/tall as another obstacle to overcome - find your own way of moving.

everyone's bodies work and move in different ways, don't worry about things other people can do which you can't, instead look at it with a "i can do things they can't" attitude.

for every tally there's a smally who can do something better/differently and vice versa.

Power Is Nothing Without Control
Old 26-09-2006, 07:59 PM

Iím short for my age but I don't think itís ever came to my disadvantage... Just adapt, if your friends (who are taller than you) can do something that you can't because of height just adapt and find another way which is more efficient for you!
Old 27-09-2006, 05:45 PM

ok thanks for all of the advice